My Guide Website?
Ostia Antica: Half-Day Tour from Rome by Train202 Reviews
Catch the train from Rome to the former harbor town of the imperial city on a 4-hour tour of Ostia Antica. Learn what life was like for ordinary Roman citizens as you see the main monuments of the commercial and military seaport of the Roman Republic.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Rome:If youʻre booking your trip to Rome last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Catch the train to the former harbor town of Ancient Rome
- Walk down streets following in the footsteps of citizens of the Roman Republic
- Take a pew on one of the public communal toilets!
- Stay in Ostia to explore the modern town at leisure, or go to the beach
DescriptionExplore the beautifully preserved archaeological remains of Ostia Antica, founded in the 4th century BC, and once home to more than 100,000 Roman citizens. Traveling by train from central Rome, your guide will accompany you to the ruins, and give a comprehensive account of Ostia’s rise and fall. Along the way, marvel at well preserved remains of taverns, thermal baths, warehouses and theaters. Walk the main Decumanus Maximus thoroughfare as your guide brings the stones to life. Admire Roman statues that line the walkways, and feel as though you are walking in Ancient Rome itself. Go to the Baths of Neptune, crowned by an impressively intact mosaic of the sea god being drawn by a 4-horse chariot. Imagine the roar of the crowds at the amphitheater, and take your place in the stands just as 3,500 spectators would have done back in 12 BC when it was first built. Visit the communal Forica (public washrooms), where a marble bench is lined with 20 well-spaced holes along 4 walls of a large open room. Take a seat to experience one of the more natural and human aspects of Ancient Rome! At the end of your tour, you have the option to remain at Ostia Antica and the modern city of Ostia, or go to a nearby beach. Those who prefer can join the guide on the train back to Rome for the end of the tour services.
IncludesReturn train from Rome to Ostia Antica Ostia Antica entry ticket Guide
- Tour groups are limited to no more than 12 persons There will be a toilet break, with time for a snack and/or drink at the snack bar The tour service ends in Rome at the Piramide Metro Station (at approximately 13:00-13:30). You are free to remain in Ostia after the tour if you prefer. Train tickets are provided, but your return journey will be unescorted This tour is not wheelchair accessible In case of a transportation strike or other unforeseeable problem with the public transport system, a minibus will be provided at no extra cost to transfer clients to and from Ostia Antica. While our day trips are typically of a fixed duration, external factors may occasionally extend tour times slightly. We appreciate your understanding and planning as we strive to provide you with the best possible experience.